If you’re like most cigarette smokers, you want to stop smoking. Maybe you desperately want to stop smoking. And, you’ve tried to stop – more than once and said to yourself, “I’ve failed, again.” No, you did not fail. Your treatment plan failed you! Now, develop a treatment plan that will work for you. So if you are thinking about stopping smoking, or you love someone whom you would like to help stop smoking, read on. Also, you will find the two short videos here helpful Click here for video clips of Dr. Sachs talking about nicotine addiction and how it drives your smoking. They will help you re-frame why continuing to smoke, when you don’t want to, is so easy and why stopping smoking can be so hard.
Here are DrLung’s™ suggestions for anyone thinking about stopping smoking:
- Acknowledge that trying to quit “cold turkey” isn’t going to work.
- If you’ve tried to stop smoking before but smoking now, “cold turkey” won’t work – you’ve been there; done that! If you have never tried to stop smoking before, and your physical level of nicotine dependence, using the tried-and-true FTND scale, is 2 or fewer points (Click here to take the Nicotine Addiction Test, or FTND) then “cold turkey”, particularly if augmented with a 6-12 week course of standard nicotine path or nicotine gum, could work very well for you. But, if you’re like most cigarette smokers these days, you are either highly nicotine dependent (FTND score 5-10 points) or moderately nicotine dependent (FTND score 3-4 points). “Cold turkey” just will not work for you – no matter how much will power you have. You will need much more than will power. And remember, quitting “cold turkey” has the lowest success rate of any course of action.
- Think of it as the most important promise you have ever made.
- If you have an FTND score of 3-10, you need professional, medical help from a knowledgeable physician to develop, with you, a treatment plan that will work for you!
- And remember stopping smoking is a process, not an event.
- If you have developed an effective stop-smoking treatment plan with that knowledgeable physician, you will be able to stop smoking without the pain. Guaranteed.
- Remember one of Sir Winston Churchill’s most famous lines: “We shall never surrender.”
- It’s easy and only takes a few minutes. Take the Nicotine Addiction Test and get your results immediately.
If you know of someone who has tried and has been unable to stop smoking, click here to find a knowledgeable physician in your area who can provide effective tobacco-dependence treatment or call +1-650-282-5950. We’ll be happy to help you get started. We want to help you improve your health.™